Thursday, August 02, 2007


Stars of Design:
Melissa Brewer; CEO M'elle Decor

NA: You have developed a builder showroom with an incredible reputation as a builder expert, can you explain a little on how you got into this field and a brief description of what you do?
MB: I was blessed to begin in the retail floor and countertop industry for the first (9) years and expanded into full interior design through remodels, custom homes, and conversions in Washington State, Oregon, and Hawaii. I have a major in Interior Design through Family Studies and a minor in Accounting. Our appointments can be very intense and are mostly relationship based so a keen sense of reading others’ emotions and managing their budgets is crucial. Moving into the builder industry in Southern California (6) years ago, I was introduced to a concept that encompasses an initial plan that is duplicated to encompass multiple homes with the ultimate goal of creating enough selections for a homebuyer to feel as if they’re purchasing a semi-custom home as well as meeting all construction dates at the job sites. Creating a program that benefits the homebuyer as well as creating a profit for builders allows everyone to see a value in the builder design process.

NA: When a client comes into your showroom, how do you start?
MB: Following mutual introductions, we don’t normally jump right into product selections. Stories are usually shared to learn the buyer’s lifestyle wishes and budget expectations. We spend a lot of time getting to know the family members that will be enjoying the benefits of our design selections. At that point, we’ll usually narrow down the showroom selections to a handful of choices so as not to overwhelm our clients. Meeting their budgets and style preferences we can give them a range of products to stretch them from the norm and still be within their means.
NA: What style is your home? How did you get to that decision?
MB: Laughing…my home is all about comfort and low maintenance! If there’s such a style as country beach cottage…that’s me. I like the reclaimed 7” beach silver woods with autumn slates, painted brick walls, and overstuffed white furnishings. I like the sparkle of polished chrome lamps with clear acrylic and white accents and sexy offices of white leather and polished chrome. It’s ironic that I’m so into whites. Our design worlds are based so much on color that a room of white allows me to freely play with extreme colors and soft neutrals.

NA: Do you have a favorite style that you wouldn’t do in your home? If so why?
MB: I absolutely love soft modern urbanism. The simplicity is appealing to me. I like to mix textures such as natures woods and slates with glass and metals. If I could discipline myself to live in this simplicity without my flurry of clutter…I’d love this style in my own surroundings. HOWEVER…the “beachy” cottage forgives me of this tidiness!
What is you favorite product and why? I really like the reclaimed woods that we’re seeing more of this year. We can find a “green” story in its history because the wood has been taken from temples in China and reused in the US. There are a lot of knot holes, color variations, and uneven edges that make it nearly impossible to maintain (so I don’t have to!!!) and I would venture to say that it couldn’t be matched if you were trying to duplicate an area because of its rareness and individuality. It can be found in light painted greys to deep chocolate espressos.
NA: What do you think has been your greatest success story?
MB: I have two: my son and my naivety. I have been blessed with a son that has grown me up these past (14) years into a centered and extremely focused mom and business person. We set our goals and our sights early and we’ve been accountable to one another. My naivety conveniently blindfolds me prior to jumping in and taking on the world because…I never knew that I couldn’t. My son and I have incredible family support and a strong (overly competitive) will to succeed. We motivate each other to be better people. We play hard and we laugh loud. Life isn’t worth working this hard unless you’ve got someone at home cheering you on and helping to guide your way!

NA: What are your plans and goals for Melle Décor in five years?
MB: Let’s just focus on these next (5) months!!! Actually, I hope to have grown M’Elle Décor to expand into other local markets such as Washington and Oregon. I hope to hire the right people and get out of their way so we can all make great money; be proud of work; and play really really hard!
M'elle Decor
850 E. Parkridge Ave #110
Corona, Ca 92879
951.279.2341

No comments: